National programme for Serbia
The funds from the 2007 Instrument for Pre Accession Assistance (IPA) totalling €165 million will be used for reforms in the health sector, reduction of pollution from the Nikola Tesla power plant, measures to improve the safety of traffic on the Danube, strengthening of municipal administrations, balanced regional development, support to internally displaced persons and refugees, the establishment of the Ombudsman office and other projects.
The projects which will be funded through the Commission’s IPA programme will continue to support the sectors of the Serbian economy and social sphere which are crucial for the improvement of people’s everyday lives. IPA will also support reforms in key sectors of public administration which are necessary for the introduction of European standards. Through these programmes, the EU is showing its commitment to Serbia’s European integration and supporting efforts to introduce European standards which are necessary to make Serbia’s intention to become a member of the European family a reality.
The 2007 IPA Programme, among others includes the following key projects:
- – The Emissions Reduction from Nikola Tesla thermal powerplant is a major project for Serbia in order to fulfil its environmental obligations under the Energy Community Treaty. The project will lead to the reconstruction of two electrostatic precipitators (air filters) and provide the technical assistance and works to address this need.
- – The Health Sector Reform Emergency Medical Services will improve Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in Serbia as part of the overall reform of the health system. The project will be conducted on a national level and it will include the purchase of emergency vehicles, training machines in Belgrade, Novi Sad, Niš and Kragujevac and training for the staff who will use the vehicles and the other equipment.
- – The Municipal Support Programme will support administrative reform at municipal level, improve local services to citizens through Citizens Assistance Centres and enhance local economic development by strengthening local organisations, the Standing Conference of Towns and Municipalities and local and central government cooperation.
- – The Support to Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) project is aimed at the distribution of construction material sets, income generation actions and the purchase village houses and garden plots for persons that have not been involved so far in any type of assistance. The project will also provide free legal aid and assistance to individuals who wish to return to Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina..
- – The Regional Economic and Social Development Programme will increase the capacity of central government to design and implement an integrated regional development policy in Serbia. Regional Development Agencies, Municipalities and other local stakeholders will be supported to implement national regional policies and actions.
- – The Danube River Information System (RIS) will enhance the speed, the safety and the efficiency of traffic on the Danube by building a dedicated RIS (telematic information service). This consists of a major project for the country since Serbia has an extensive inland waterway network comprising of three international rivers and the Danube River with its 588 km passing through the country is considered to be one of the most important components of transport infrastructure in the entire region.
Since 2000, the European Union has through various non-returnable assistance programmes and credit lines provided over €2 billion to Serbia and another €1 billion has been tentatively earmarked for reform assistance for 2007 – 2011.
For more information: Aleksandar Djordjević, Press and Information Officer (+381 11 30 83 200); Amelia Neacsu, Press and Communication Officer (+381 11 30 83 200)
IPA Programmes per component
Cross-border decisions 2007
- CBC IPA 2007 Serbia – Montenegro pdf [58 KB]
- CBC IPA 2007 Bosnia and Herzegovina – Serbia pdf [114 KB]
- CBC 2007 Serbia – Croatia pdf [16 KB]
Programme on financing the participation of Serbia in the ERDF European Territorial Co-operation transnational programme 2007
- Serbia’s participation in the ERDF European Territorial Co–operation transnational programme “South–East European Space” 2007 pdf [51 KB]
Other programmes 2007
- Commission Decision IPA 2007 pdf [18 KB]
- Financing Proposal and National Programme Serbia 2007 pdf [150 KB]
- IPA Project Preparation Facilities pdf [101 KB]
- Municipal Support Programme pdf [190 KB]
- Standardised System of Training Judiciary pdf [64 KB]
- Efficiency and Transparency of Judiciary pdf [50 KB]
- Penalty System pdf [54 KB]
- Internal Police pdf [54 KB]
- Public Procurement Office pdf [159 KB]
- Tax Administration pdf [86 KB]
- Support to Refugees and IDPs pdf [141 KB]
- Ombudsman pdf [78 KB]
- Human Rights Agency pdf [79 KB]
- Civil Society pdf [63 KB]
- Regional Socio-Economic Development Programme pdf [253 KB]
- Fight against drugs pdf [126 KB]
- Health Accreditation Agency pdf [71 KB]
- Health Sector Reform Emergency Medical Services pdf [161 KB]
- Support to VET pdf [99 KB]
- River Information System pdf [74 KB]
- Supervision of Belgrade By-Pass pdf [126 KB]
- Support to Statistics Office pdf [71 KB]
- Emissions reductions from the Nikola Tesla thermal power plants pdf [122 KB]
- Support to Private Sector Competitiveness pdf [105 KB]
- Support to Implementation of Tourism Strategy pdf [140 KB]
- Customs and Common Transit Procedure pdf [70 KB]
- Improving Border Control Standards pdf [111 KB]
- Implementation of Common Aviation Area pdf [112 KB]
- Support to Decentralised Implementation System pdf [149 KB]
- Community Programmes pdf [61 KB]
- Environmental Approximation Strategy pdf [81 KB]
- Twinning on Air Quality pdf [145 KB]
- Twinning on Natura pdf [71 KB]
- Energy Capacity Building pdf [97 KB]
- Mapping of Flood Zones pdf [107 KB]
- West Morava River Basin pdf [127 KB]
- Reserve and General Technical Assistance Facility pdf [14 KB]
- Rural Development pdf [96 KB]
- Intellectual Property Office pdf [73 KB]